- University of Iowa, School of Law, J.D., 2004
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 2001
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Iowa
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- United States District Court for the District of Nebraska
- United States Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
- Iowa Bar Association
- Woodbury County Bar Association
- Iowa Association for Justice
- American Federation of Teachers, Local 716
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars 2013-2014
In 2004, after graduating from the University of Iowa, College of Law and working with the political group America Coming Together, Jay joined the firm. His primary focus is on labor and employment law, specifically representing labor unions throughout Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, and other western states.
Jay brings a lot of experience to his clients; not only has he represented labor unions before various state employment boards, he has also represented them in front of the National Labor Relations Board. His experience is also broad as well as deep. In addition to board representation, Jay advises labor unions and provides negotiation assistance during the collective bargaining process, represents them during grievance arbitration, and helps them achieve results in both discharge and contract interpretation cases. In addition to working with labor unions and employers, Jay also represents employees in wage and hour cases, as well as before civil service commissions.
Like Mac and Dennis, Jay also presents classes and seminars to union members at the University of Iowa’s Labor Center. Jay has also served as an advisor to Democratic candidates for public office and is a past board member for the Siouxland Food Bank. In his spare time, Jay helps coach his young sons’ (Jackson, Carter, and Harry) sports teams.